Wednesday 31 August 2016

2.5 Yr Old: Wants Me To Play, But Keeps Getting Mad At "How I Play"


Lately, my little boy's 'toddler-attitude' is getting worse! Little bugger is really pushing it. I come to you more experienced parents for some guidance.I expect my toddler to be defiant and somewhat difficult when we're asking him to do something he doesn't want to do (I get that), but why is he starting to act up during playtimes?It'll be something like this, which I have to assume, you are familiar with:We start playing Cars; He'll grab Lightning McQueen, I'll grab Doc Hudson, and then he'll freak out at the what I'm doing with Doc Hudson... Whether it be "what I'm saying" or "how I'm driving around" whatever. Stupid stuff: "NO DADDY, STOP IT.." (Usually, as he then tries to take away the car from me...) Do This...Or if we start coloring, he will want to take whatever crayon I pick. "I was using that one, buddy, but you can use it. Remember to share, ok?" "OK." (I pick up another one and start coloring.) I can't even finish coloring, and he's trying to take my new crayon...This kind of behavior isn't hitting, biting, hurting, etc., so it's hard for me to consider time-out, but I also don't want to set a precedent. This is beginning to ruin our playtimes, as I'm sure you could imagine. If he keeps acting up, and I threaten to stop playing with him, he really doesn't understand, and when I actually do get up and try to "reset" the situation, then he's just back to "Daddy Sit Down" within minutes.We've been playing with the same things for a while now (Cars, Thomas Trains, Playschool People/Farm/Castle, Coloring, Playdoh, Blocks, etc. Maybe he's getting bored of these toys, although I really don't think that's it.Any thoughts on how to handle the behavior when we are playing? How do I curtail the situation so that it doesn't escalate? Any thoughts in general? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ccpZjx

No comments:

Post a Comment