Monday 29 August 2016

I [17f] dont know how to talk to my dad [48m] about him being so controlling over me


I'll try to make this as short as possible -Mom and dad split when I was 4. Mom got really strung out on drugs. My dad won full custody of me and my mom only got supervised visitation, after a while, she stopped showing up for visitation and hasn't paid child support in years. Haven't had any contact with my mom since I was 9 years old.Dad's never been with anyone else since he and my mom split. He's had 2 or 3 girlfriends since my mom, but they never lasted long. It's always been just me and himI work my own job at a fast food restaurant after school and on the weekends. Because I'm still in high school (graduate next June) I can't work more than 30 hours a weekIt seems like ever since I turned 16, my dad has become this total control freak. He won't let me take driver's ed so I can get my license, he won't let me buy my own clothes without his approval (that even extends to underwear and yes, it's really creepy to have your middle aged father picking out what underwear you can and cannot buy). Makeup, who I'm talking/texting, etc. He will regularly take my phone out of my room while Im sleeping and go through my texts/call log to see who I'm talking to.He also demands that I pay for my own cell phone (which I do), my own groceries (I do), and give him a share of rent. If I dont do these things, my dad will get angry with me and in the past, has taken my bedroom door off the hinges. I cant have the bathroom door locked or shut my bedroom door. My bed must be made before I go to school (which is fine, I really dont mind making my bed) but I must give him my laptop (that I cant have a password on) to him so he can see my browser history (thank god for Incognito)The most recent thing thats happened is I went shopping with friends at the mall. I ended up spending more than I wanted to on the things I bought but, I had already gave my dad rent and paid my share of the phone bill. I really didnt think it would be that big of a deal and I still had money left over to buy my own groceries. What cost so much was that today was my friends birthday and I bought her a couple of bath bombs from Lush because I knew she never used one before. I went to Victoria's Secret as well and bought myself two new pairs and some better fitting/cuter looking underwear (because good god I am so tired of wearing fucking granny panties) and some clothes from LoveCulture (I really love that store)I dont know what my dad's problem is, but he's known to have anger outbursts over simple silly things. When my friends dropped me off at home, he demanded to see what I had bought. I really didnt want to show him what I had bought but he threatened to not give my laptop back, so I didWhen he saw the things I had bought from Victoria's Secret, he asked wtf was I doing with clothing that "whores wear". I told my dad I was tired of wearing sports bras that have no support and hurt (Im unfortunately big chested and my dad is always telling me I cant wear anything that isnt "modest" and shows off the fact I have boobs) and I wanted underwear that actually feels good and not like Im wearing something my grandma would wear. My dad got SUPER mad at me for this and yelled at me and screamed that he wouldnt have a "stupid slut living under his roof" and threw my friends bath bombs against the wall where they broke. He also grabbed my laptop and threw it against the wall where the screen shattered and I dont think it could be replaceable. Now my dad has locked himself in his room and is ignoring me.I really dont know wtf to do in this situation. This isnt the first time my dad has gotten angry over things I've bought with my own money and has broken my things before. Ive tried talking to my school's guidance counselor over this but she's dismissed me before saying she "couldn't believe such a nice man would do something like that" - I guess it doesnt hurt to mention I live in the south and my dad is a very devout Baptist Christian. I dont go to church (haven't since I was 14) and I think my dad gets angry/upset over that.I really dont know how to approach him on this. I just feel like he doesn't care about my property / my things and he continues to treat me like a child even though I turn 18 next July. I'm 17 and Im the only one out of my friends group who doesn't have a license because he refuses to let me take driver's ed. He expects me to go to the college of his choice but tells me it will be my responsibility to pay for the tution. He wants me to become a lawyer, when I want to be a pediatric nurse. When Ive told him this, he told me "that's an easy job. Anyone with half a brain can be a nurse. Lawyers are smart and you're GOING to be a lawyer if I have any say in it"Please help me reddit. My dad makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes. What do I do?tl;dr: My dad is a huge control freak and I don't know what to do about it anymore. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2bRCVwj

No comments:

Post a Comment