Sunday 28 August 2016

Religion and In-Laws


My mother-in-law and her husband are fantastic grandparents, and take our two and a half year old son for overnights about once a month. It's wonderful for us, and our son loves visiting them. They also respect us as parents, but like all grandparents, they don't always ask first about everything we might have an opinion on. I've decided to let things like flavored milk and ice cream at lunch go. But I'm having a hard time deciding how to handle this bigger issue.My in-laws' life is focused on their church. My husband and I are not religious - I'm half Jewish (culturally!) with no religious experience in my upbringing, and my husband went to church some growing up but doesn't believe in God. Church is something my MIL came to after her divorce, and her community is almost entirely church-centered. But she's never been pushy about her religion, her beliefs, or asked about our son's religious upbringing. So I was somewhat taken aback when I picked my son up on a Sunday and my MIL started gushing about how cute the ladies at the church nursery thought he was, and how much he loved playing with the toys there.There's two issues here:1) I am uncomfortable with my son being supervised by people I haven't met when I thought he was being cared for by his grandparents. 2) I am uncomfortable with his grandparents taking him to church without asking us about it.I'm not anti-church, and I know that ultimately, my son will make his own choices in life when it comes to religion and spirituality. But I worry that it's a slippery slope to have him default tag along with his grandparents on a Sunday. I worry he'll be indoctrinated into a belief system that conflicts with our own before he's equipped to ask the larger questions. The scary thing has been that it's so hard to articulate why I don't want him to go, and my husband doesn't necessarily see anything wrong with it. He sees and agrees with my perspective, but he's not going to be the one to talk to his mom about it.We just had another Saturday overnight (having forgotten this issue and excited for a date night, I guess?) and again, my MIL gushed about the cuteness present in church this week. I brought up that I was uncomfortable with not having met or vetted the childcare providers - just as I would be if she hired a babysitter for my son and went out without letting me know (not that she would ever do that). I told her that if she and her husband both wanted to go to church, I would pick him up before they went. She said okay, but I realized during that conversation that the bigger religion talk was something I didn't even want to broach.Long story, but really looking for thoughts, advice, and experience from parents who are accepting of religion but not religious themselves. What's your action and reasoning when it comes to family, and how do you articulate your position to them? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2bvA2Dm

No comments:

Post a Comment