Sunday 28 August 2016

I'd like to hear how different families handle sharing of toys across large age gaps...


I'm having a conflict between myself and another family regarding the way that our children interact with each other.I'll leave out too many specifics of our situation-- I'll just mention that there are an almost-3-year old and an 11-year-old involved. Conflict arises almost every time our kids are together and it's centered around toys that the toddler plays with, then briefly puts down-- then the older kid starts playing with-- then toddler immediately wants the toy back, but the older kid says no and toddler is immediately heartbroken and sobbing. It's becoming a source of tension between us because I hate seeing my child getting upset over something that (in my opinion) is an unnecessary power struggle instigated by the older child.The other parents side with their child. They think it's fine that their child does this and then won't give it back to the toddler unless she "asks nicely." I see their child as behaving like a bully on a power trip, because he doesn't have interest in any of these toys until the toddler does. They see my child as behaving like an entitled, demanding brat because she cries and gets very upset when she can't have the toy back.I don't know what to do. It's putting a strain on the relationship between the other parents and myself, and I feel awful for my child too because she gets genuinely upset and very sad about all this every time it happens. I just feel like we're almost putting her in a situation where she is destined to lose, and I hate seeing her hurt.Advice? Suggestions? Anecdotes? What are reasonable expectations for a 3 year old and 11 year old as far as sharing is concerned? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2bt9Uam

No comments:

Post a Comment