Saturday 27 August 2016

5 Week old failed a swallow study


My five week old was having some seemingly minor symptoms while eating. We went in for a swallow study at 2:00 yesterday afternoon, and he failed it. He could only swallow the thickest liquid (the consistency of honey) without inhaling some of it.After the results of the test were explained, the speech therapist called the pediatrician. There was some discussion of putting in an NG tube, and my son and I were brought to the ER. The NG tube idea was eventually scrapped and we were admitted (at 9:00) to the children's ward for overnight observation for the eating.The baby seems to be doing okay with eating the thicker liquid. My husband seems distrustful of the whole process, and questioned the validity of all of this. He went home for the evening and my plan is to update him whenever/if things change at all. I am 100% okay with him going home. I'm a mess though.I'm feeling really emotional about this: I'm sad that I can't breastfeed, sad that my husband is so upset, worried about the future of my son, guilty that maybe I caused this (probably irrational, but that's still there) scared and sad and lonely. I'm one of the first people in my friend group to have a kid, and I don't feel like I can talk to many people about this. It's now 4:00am and I just have been crying randomly every so often, even when I was okay a few minutes prior.I guess I just need someone to tell me we'll be okay. Has anyone else been here? What happens next? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2bHxN09

No comments:

Post a Comment