Tuesday 30 August 2016

My kindergartner is being bullied in the after school program and I'm not sure how to intervene.


My 5 year old has been in the program for about 3 weeks now and at first the bullying was only minor but it has escalated rapidly. It started with one of the older kids picking on him for little things. Telling him his brand new shoes are ugly, that he's not good at an activity, things like that. My child is incredibly social and has never had a hard time making friends but he is quickly losing his friends because they are becoming victims by association. He didn't mind when the older kid was picking on him, but now that his favorite friends "hate him" I can tell it's starting to get to him despite his positive outlook.Picking him up today he was sitting with a group of boys and when he saw me he jumped out of his seat and said "mama!" An older boy mimicked him in an over the top whiny voice and the rest joined in. I couldn't believe this kid would be so cruel, especially in front of an adult. It was also disconcerting to see the rest of the kids join in. I asked him if he played with anyone at after school today and he said yes, but he was mostly upset that they picked on his friend as well.I asked him if he wanted to go to another after school program but he insists that he wants to stay at his school. He loves his school and comes home happy every single day. He is proud by nature and it takes a lot to hurt him, which is why I think the older kids are being relentless. I'm definitely going to talk with the program director but other than that I don't know how to help my child because he makes it seem like he doesn't need it. When I talk to him about it he is quick to say "they are just bullies" like bullies are no big deal and can't hurt him. He is having no problem socializing at school. Walking him to class at least one kid will say hi to him in the hallway. Even at the grocery store kids of all different ages will say hello and know him by name. He is a likable fellow because he is so friendly and non exclusive, but my biggest fear is that he will become jaded from the torment.Where do I go from here? This is not normal elementary school behavior is it? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2bZbK43

No comments:

Post a Comment