Wednesday 31 August 2016

daughter (10F) keeps saying things that make me and her stepmom sad about the relationship with bio-mom


This is really more of a rant or a brain dump than asking for advice, because I already know the right thing to do.TLDR: My 10-year-old daughter is telling us things about her mother's parenting that upset us, and I have to tell someone.My ex-wife isn't a perfect person. That's okay; I'm not either. But in the past three weeks, my daughter has said more about the bad things that happen with her mother than ever before. She's not being physically abused (the worst of it is neglect and getting yelled at a lot), but some of the things she says are really upsetting me and my wife (my daughter's stepmom -- who by the way she adores and respects despite only having been around for two years).Here are some of the things my daughter has said lately:"Mommy's going to kill me!" repeated multiple times, when she got a failing grade on an assignment."Mommy just yells at me," when she is asked why she can't have a phone yet."Mommy spends all her time on her phone," during what little time they have together (because the kid spends over 2.5 hours in transit every day she's not in our custody)."Mommy never makes me burgers or spaghetti because she says 'we don't have time'," which is probably true because they don't get home until 7:30pm. She's not even asking for anything complicated."Daddy pays mommy money, right?" asked to stepmom, who said yes and explained it age-appropriately. The next comment from my daughter was, "I don't know where the money goes because mommy doesn't ever buy me anything." (I'm pretty sure it all goes to the mortgage and the private school; my ex has never been a shopaholic or a money-waster.)"Okay, but I'd still like to have been told," when she told us that her mother hasn't bought her a birthday present in two years. There was no excuse last year, but this year her mother gave her a nice party. My daughter just wanted to be told that that was her gift."Why does daddy have to pay mommy?" The answer was, "it's based on who makes more money and who spends more time with the kids." My daughter said, "but you and daddy spend more time with me." That's even though we have her one fewer day a week.I remember, when I was a kid and going through a rough behavior patch, my dad sat me down and told me how I was making him and my mother feel, and that my mother would cry a lot. Well, my daughter's behavior isn't perfect, but it's not as bad as mine was. Still, I feel like crying a lot because my daughter is reaching out for more from her mother, and she's not getting it. We do the best we can, but we only have her for three days a week.It's killing me, but I know I just have to wait it out until my daughter can legally choose which parent she wants to live with. I'm certain I know what the answer will be. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2bVkYgh

No comments:

Post a Comment