Friday 26 August 2016

My daughter is hitting puberty! Am I doing this right?


So hi! My baby girl is almost 10 and I've been in denial a few months now but today I had to accept it. My daughter is in puberty. She's gotten to the point of needing a training bra.I quietly pulled her into her room and stood her in front of her mirror and asked if there was anything she might want to cover up more (she had a white tank on). She immediately looked ashamed and started tearing up. :( Of course I freaked out! So I sat with her on her bed and started reassuring her. She was thinking she was weird and I was like "no! You're perfect! You're body is changing exactly how it's supposed to. You're becoming a woman and that's completely okay." She was like mama :( and started crying and curled up in my lap >.< I just sat with her for a bit and she was like IDK WHY I'M CRYING and I was like BC YOU'RE A GIRL AND THAT'S WHAT WE DO. Then she burst into giggles and seemed alright.So we're in family counseling (issues with brother/divorce/attitude) and our therapist has suggested that she and I do a girl's night. We scheduled it for tomorrow and we're going to go get her first bra and a book (The care and keeping of you) that I've read about and do our nails and watch chick flicks. Maybe eat ice cream. The possibilities are endless.My question stems from the fact that my mom didn't do this stuff with me. She was narcissistic and never had time to help with issues. I pretty much just figured it out as I went and remember going bra shopping with my stepdad. Which was mortifying.So what else can I do? I feel like this will set the stage for the next decade and I want her to feel comfy talking to me and coming to me with issues. Please halp! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2bnrv6s

No comments:

Post a Comment