Saturday 29 June 2019

So there was a meltdown in front of my house today...


...it was a young child, in a pink Jeep toy thingee they cruise around in. She and her dad were out on a stroll/ride, and I don't know what went wrong, but she was having a Very. Bad. Day. My wife, teen son and I got home just as the meltdown started. We went inside and didn't get involved, because it's not our business and Dad certainly didn't need us weighing in. The tantrum went on for about 20 minutes. We could hear it inside, and every now and again we would take a quick glance outside to make sure everything was OK. Dad was doing his best to be as patient as he could be and solve the problem that was ... who knows. Eventually, Dad picked up his daughter and awkwardly dragged the Jeep home. My point of this post: I've got teens now. But I've been there. And just so in case you folks with little ones are wondering: There are a lot of us who have been there. I felt bad for Dad. He was doing everything in his power to reason with the unreasonable. We didn't get involved because it was just a bad day. My kids certainly had them. I believe the family is new in the neighborhood, and I hope they are out again at some point so I can introduce myself. But parents who are experiencing a public meltdown - I know it's not fun. But those phases pass. Before you know it, your kids will be almost functional, normal humans. And there are a lot of us out there who hear the meltdowns. And we're not judging. We're in your corner. And out of your way, so you can navigate the waters. Hang tough, y'all. And good job, Dad. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2KLZOUX

No comments:

Post a Comment