Sunday 30 June 2019

Explain the death of a parent to five year old son


I just received a phone call that my son’s mother died tonight. Forgive me in advance for this post, it’s late and I’m numb, she is our son’s custodial guardian, and I had him while she went out with some friends.The way it’s been explained to me is they were drinking, and she was also messing around with some prescriptions. She went and fell asleep on the couch and when they went to check on her, she’d died. She’s been in a bad place lately and I’m not even surprised. I knew she had those pills but not that she’d been mixing them.Our son is five and he adores her. They’re always off on some adventure. I’m so heartbroken I’ve been debating waking our son up to tell him but I know it won’t do any good.How do I even bring it up? What is death to a five year old? She obviously has died in a very adult way, what do I say? I will fill in more details when my head is clear. Any advice appreciated. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/323m95S

No comments:

Post a Comment