Thursday 27 June 2019

I'm a bad dad because I dont sugar coat things


I was just informed of this today by a nosy mom who was eavesdropping on my conversation with my 3 year old.Yesterday we went to my daughters grandpa's house. She wanted to see a certain cat but the poor thing passed away recently.She asked my at lunch "where is Yuki?" And I told her "sorry sweety, Yuki died. He is with your great grandma now."(about here where the nosey lady gasped) My daughter let me know that she is sad Yuki is gone and I told her it's okay to be sad. Especially when someone dies.I dont recall exact way the woman worded it but she said something along the lines of "I've never heard such an example of bad parenting" and she walked out. I was half shocked.What age is appropriate to teach stuff like this? When my grandma died in April of last year I sat her down and explained that Great Grandma wont be around anymore.She totally grasped the idea. She is really REALLY a smart kid, she asked me all the questions she had about death including if I'm going to die, if shes going to die etc.She also knows that she and mom have vaginas and daddy has a weeny. She knows not to touch other people's private parts.Am I totally early teaching her this stuff? It seems stupid to me to not teach it when the opportunity came. Why would we sugar coat death and body parts?I was about 8 when I was taught anything about death. And i remember being devastated for days. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2IRG67T

No comments:

Post a Comment