Tuesday 25 June 2019

my 10 year old son called me stupid and I don't know how to react.


This happened about an hour ago, on the walk home from the school bus today.So my son and I are having a pretty bad day. This morning I woke up to him fighting with his brother again; running around the house, yelling, screeching, acting like clowns instead of getting ready for school: the usual. Five times I had to tell them to pipe down because I woke up with a headache. Eventually, I got to the point where I told them if they kept it up, they wouldn't be allowed on computers or x-box when they got home from school. Well, they kept it up, so I stuck to my guns and told them no electronics. They pouted and whined but eventually shuffled into the car and their mom drove them to school.​Cue this afternoon: I pick them up from the bus like I always do, and like always my 10y/o asks "dad, can I play Xbox when we get home?" So I remind him about his morning. Usually he grudgingly accepts the facts, apologizes and proceeds to read Harry Potter for the rest of the evening if I ever have to tell him "no electronics" for whatever reason. Today, however, was different: he started weeping and wailing, saying that I'm the worst person ever and how I don't care about him and his feelings. I tell him "look, you know what the rules are in the mornings when you have to get ready for school." He shot back with "Well, your rules are stupid, just like you are!" and then proceeded to inform me that "He's just being himself and I can't get angry at him for that" and that if anyone's not okay with his behavior "it's their problem because he's just being himself."​And I'm just at a loss here. I'm heartbroken and furious, and feel like the shittiest dad ever and I don't know what to do. Like, there are limits to allowing him to act like a kid: I can't let screeching and screaming and acting like a clown at 7AM on a school day be their normal, and that's why we have rules and routines. I want to make him understand how much he hurt my feelings, but I don't know what to do, or say. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2xfrby2

No comments:

Post a Comment