Saturday 29 June 2019

My 7 year old is pretty cool


My son and I have been through a lot. Having come out of a toxic relationship had left both of us with a lot of mental healing to do. It's been very hard to make sure my child got the help he needed to flourish. Although we're still struggling, there's been an amazing amount of progress. I never imagined my son would become the boy he is today and am excited to see the man he'll become.At the young age of 4, he recieved open heart surgery to correct a murmur that was slowly distorting his aortic valve. It was successful! I highly commend the doctors who performed the surgery but what happened after has surprised me and continues to surprise me every day. My son had become very interested in watching surgical videos.I was shocked when one night as I was putting him to bed, he asked if he could watch surgery being performed on the brain. By this point, he was between 5 and 6 years of age. While I do allow my child to have an imagination (ie: Santa, tooth fairy, and the sort), I don't sugar coat the reality of the human condition so that night, my son and I watched an open brain surgery on YouTube that was being performed on an older woman. She had suffered a blow to the head from a fall and developed a massive hematoma. He watched on with such intrigue and I was in awe of him.Since then, he's watched several surgical videos of various parts of the body, including a video of the same surgery they performed on him. He's been learning more and more every day and is now in the process of learning about cancers in different parts of the body. Today, he learned about breast cancer and of its stages including the treatments used to eliminate or remove the tumors. He was sad to learn that women had to get their breasts cut off in the later stagesHe has seen humans being cut by scalpels and their insides displayed. He doesn't often get nightmares and when he does, he brushes it off as he recognizes that it's just a dream (his words). I asked him why he was so interested in watching surgeries and such and his response was this:"I want to learn about the human body; how it works and how to fix it."Guess what he wants to be when he grows up? lol I think hes pretty cool kid. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2XhtpvZ

No comments:

Post a Comment