Saturday 30 June 2018

Thoughts on children watching kissing/slightly intimate romantic scenes in movies


Hello, I’m not a parent but this is something I’ve been thinking about a lot recently and i’m interested in hearing some opinions about it. I have a 7 year old cousin (the baby of the family) and I’ve noticed that whenever we’re all watching a movie together her mom and/or our grandparents will freak out whenever a kissing scene comes up and tell her to look away. I even remember my aunt (the 7 yo’s mom) doing this same thing to me when I was around that age. We were watching a movie in theaters and she angrily hissed at me to cover my eyes when a kissing scene came on.I just feel like this is such a dramatic and unnecessary reaction. I’m worried that it’s giving her the impression that there’s something wrong with showing romantic affection and will set her up for shameful feelings about sex in the future. Obviously I understand she shouldn’t be mimicking such behavior at her age but I don’t understand why the adults in the situation don’t just make sure she knows those things are only for adults. I also understand why they don’t want her seeing more intense scenes, such as pg-13 type depictions of sex, but I still feel like they should handle it in a more subtle(mature?? can’t really think of what word I want to use here) way instead of reacting as if it’s the worse possible thing she could see. I also dislike how they react that way to sexually charged scenes but I’ve never seen any objection to her watching scenes full of violence, which is worse in my opinion.How do you all handle your children seeing pg-13 depictions of romance and intimacy? Do you think my family’s reactions are appropriate? Am I overthinking when I worry about how this will negatively affect her feelings towards intimacy in the future? Thanks in advance for any responses! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2MBrad7

No comments:

Post a Comment