Saturday 23 June 2018

I hate having to go to birthday parties and play dates...


Ok so, I'm an awkward shy introvert with small anxiety issues. Unless i get to know someone well thats what i am, but once you get to know me im a really chill person. My husband has this too except a much milder version since he comes from a large extended family. We met in college and after a few years had a surprise that was our son followed by our daughter. We love both our kids to pieces. We take them on outings, to eat at restaurants, to the zoo, amusement parks, attend every class performance, sports practice etc. We buy them whatever they need and then some. We have only two other parents we are comfortable with hanging out with along with their kids and that's my brother and my husbands sister whom have kids of their own. Outside of that small circle we dont really hang out with other parents. Its just too awkward for me. But oh man...did our kids not end up like us. Theyre the loudest, happiest, friendliest two school aged kids youll ever meet...and as such will get invited to every damn birthday party within the community and play dates and meet ups constantly. Make friends like its nobody's business. School friends, neighbor kids, friends of their cousins, kids they meet at the park etc. Its never ending. The easiest ones are when the play dates are in the park. I'll do those happily. Same with parties at a community center or a chuck e cheese. Those are great i love them! The worst are when its in other people's homes. I suddenly get really nervous and jittery when im reaching other people's homes, like extremely uneasy and anxious. Meanwhile my kids are bouncing off the walls happy. I then have to enter a strangers home and try my best to hit it off with them and make small talk while my kids leave me and disappear running into a kids bedroom then hear them cry when its time to go and make a fool of myself wrangling them out of there. I've managed to do this at least a good 5 times. And each time its such a emotional build up for me and it doesn't get easier. Sometimes i catch myself sitting awkwardly in a corner on my phone and occasionally smiling awkwardly and looking up to nod yes or no to the parents. When i was little i remember my parents never taking me or letting me go to other people's homes except my aunts. And i think thats why im the mess i am now. Because i never learned social graces or how to handle being in strange homes. I only sort of grew out of my shell in college and went to other people's homes but its only because i knew them and they were friends, so i didnt have to worry about first impressions etc. But now its always complete STRANGERS i have to talk to. My husband takes a bullet for me occasionally and will take them to these things but most times he can't because of a hectic work schedule. (Im a stay at home mom for now) Ugh...so yeah im sorry this is a long post. I'm just venting because in an hour i have to take my lovely babies to yet another birthday party and im bracing myself while charging my phone.. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2K1tHk9

No comments:

Post a Comment