Monday 25 June 2018

Baby learning multiple languages good for development?


I am half French (father immigrated to US at age of 25) and I’m getting the feeling that my wife doesn’t like my father speaking to our baby in French. My dad has been a French teacher for 40 years and taught my brother and me French when we were babies. So my father came to visit this weekend and spoke to my daughter in French. At one point, my wife said “in English.” I take this to mean, only talk to our daughter in English. I find this so rude and disrespectful to my father who has always wanted the best for us. I also think that a baby hearing/learning two languages simultaneously could be a good thing for her (not sure what research is out there). Am I acting crazy for getting upset with my wife over this? French is a major part of my life as I still have substantial family living there. My wife claims to feel excluded when my father speaks to our daughter in French (things like un, deux, trois, etc). via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2yCRwcN

No comments:

Post a Comment