Saturday 23 June 2018

My wife spoils our teenage daughters to the point that I’m worried it’s actually crippling them. Am I being over-the-top about this or is there real reason to worry?


My daughters are 15 and 17. They’ve never had chores. I tried to give them some when they were younger. (Dishes, mopping, etc.). If I didn’t personally supervise them every step of the way, my wife would invariably jump in and take over. I confronted her and she said they “have more important things to do” She means school/extracurriculars, which I agree are important. But does that mean that they’re incapable of doing minor tasks?I will admit, they do very well in school. It’s actually shocking considering how my wife was when they were younger. If they got overwhelmed or too tired in elementary school, she actually would do their homework for them (if it involved writing, she would use her left hand so it looked like a child did it).Thankfully they do their own school work now, but that’s about it. They don’t even clean their rooms. My wife does it for them because “they won’t do it right.”My wife also convinced me years ago to get them Corgis, which she swore would be their responsibility. Well, they have never cleaned up after these dogs and they only walk them if I force them to do it. All they do is play with them and take pictures for Instagram.Also, they’ve never worked. EVER. I got my oldest daughter a part time job at a grocery store last summer. She quit after 2 weeks because it was “too stressful” and my wife backed her completely. This summer, I haven’t even bothered.I think my wife sometimes resents the fact that she’s a stay at home wife/mom (even though it was HER choice to do that). She has a college degree but we got married young and she didn’t want to leave the girls. She wasn’t making a quarter of my salary anyway, so I agreed she should just quit and stay home.But she makes comments all the time about the career she could have had and I think she’s hoping our daughters can live that life for her. For example. When I complain that our daughters do not even know how to wash a load of clothes properly, my wife jokes about how they’ll be “rich” and have maids to clean up. Makes me wonder if that’s what she wanted to be. A career woman with maids and nannies, maybe.I don’t know what to do anymore. It’s hard not to just give up when you’re always being undermined. I feel like no one in this house takes my opinion seriously anyway.Advice would be great, but, either way, it felt good to vent. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2tu4dkk

No comments:

Post a Comment