Sunday 24 June 2018

9 year old has quit talking to her father


And I don't know if I should address it or just let it be her decision?A little backstory, he was stoked when we got pregnant but got caught cheating while I was 8 months in and our relationship fell apart after that. He never bothered to come around much the first 3 years of her life and saw her maybe 4 times with massive arm twisting and usually my paying for the travel. Then I got engaged to another man and he filed for visitation which I thought was great because he was finally going to be involved. So he saw her on weekends and summers for about a year then it started to peter off and eventually turned into just calling on the major holidays. Then she got old enough last year I got her a phone to keep in touch with her cousins and him, and the calls turned into texts only on certain holidays.I've tried addressing this with him because she's expressed a lot of anger towards him the last year or so. But he refuses to see anything wrong with his behavior and just blames everyone else for his lack of involvement.Well I noticed the other day that he tried texting her on father's day and she completely ignored him. In the past I've always tried to encourage and support a relationship between them. But I'm kind of at a point where I'm wondering if I should just let this one go. He hasn't been a dad to her, I understand why she's angry, is it okay for me to just let her ignore him on father's day?Tl;Dr is 9 old enough to decide you don't want to talk to/deal with an absentee parent who only texts on holidays anymore? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2tzfDDg

No comments:

Post a Comment