Friday 29 June 2018

42 year old rookie father of 3 week old. Some observations.....


1. How do people do this alone?Seriously my wife and I are tag teaming this and it has taken everything to stay coherent the first 3 weeks. I don't even remember if I fed our boy last night or changed him or both. (We're working on a better schedule so we're both not wiped out at the same time. It's getting better). Hats off to all the single parents out there. 2. I realize that I was playing Call of Duty on Xbox prior to this baby. Now I feel like I'm on the front lines of the Syrian war.Everything from being peed on to the baby wiggling\screaming and I can't get a snap on. Or I got the wrong snap crooked and have to start over while still wiggling\screaming. To the baby almost asleep in my arms but as soon as I put him in the crib he start crying. All the while it's 2:30am and I don't even know where I am. This is how I felt the first week :) 3. I'm thankful that I'm 42 and not 22 going through this.At 22 I would totally be a wreck right now. Sure I'd probably adjust eventually, but being older and wiser more patient is amazing. However, I'd love to have my 22 year old back for changing diapers and clothing ;) How I feel in the middle of the night 4. This has been the most challenging adjustment in my life but I love it.Each day is a new puzzle. A new challenge. Time spent with my son. Something I never had. My father left before I was born because my mom wouldn't get an abortion. Never met him. So I see this as an opportunity to provide for my boy something I missed out on. Praying over him in the middle of the night. Thanking God for the blessing he is as my wife and I were married 19 years before having him. These things keep me going and am able to be so grateful while this season of adjustment is happening.A buddy told me it would be tough at first and have challenges but is so worth it. He was right. FinallyThank you for this subreddit. I have been skimming over a lot of topics and there are some real gems I have tucked away and am currently using. All the best to each of you no matter where you may be in this parenting journey.Another piece of advice I heard which has stuck with me. "Just be there. Show up and be a part of your kids life. That will speak more to them than anything else you can do or provide. Be present"That's what my goal is. Even though the diapers are beginning to stink ;)Thanks for taking a few moments to read this and feel free to share anything here that you experienced or learned on this great adventure. Rookie dad out :P via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2KwpMvg

No comments:

Post a Comment