Monday 29 January 2018

Teaching my kids and myclassroom different tones changed the dynamics positively


I've practiced this exercise with my kids and it had great results so this year I also practiced it with my class, and I also got great results- so I'll share it with you guys. It might help some of you!I've noticed that my children often didn't know what tone of voice to use depending on the situation. They'd go from neutral to angry when they'd steal each others toys or they'd go from whiny to annoyed when they'd want something. I figured there was probably a better way to teach them how to use their "calm,""neutral,""firm," and "in danger" voice. Same thing for kids in my class. They'd often go from whiny to angry but I barely heard any firm tones.We started this exercise really easily. "When do we use a firm voice? When we are happy? When we are sad? In what situations?" Repeat this exercise for each tone. Once children figure it out, put them in a particular scenario. "Mario stole your pencil, you want it back, how do you ask him?" Listen to the child's voice. At first I mainly noticed a shy febrile voice from the quiet students and a angry loud voice from the loud students. As a class we practiced our firm "please give me back my pencil" voice. I noticed at first shy/quiet students wouldn't want to say it. With time, they did. We did the same with other tones. I didn't make it act long, boring exercise. Just act quick "ok class, when I say your name (while doing attendance) respond using your X voice."Soon in the classroom I saw a difference. Quiet kids didn't come see me to say that another student had hurt them, they would tell them themselves "You hurt me." Students who used to yell know when to use their soft voice which gets many other kids to want to play with them.The hard part is really to get the kids used to using using a certain tone. Once they do that, they should be able to use appropriate tones (with our help of course)! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rNms6R

No comments:

Post a Comment