Saturday 27 January 2018

Behavioural difficulties/Authority


Helloooooooo, I'm looking for some support, advice and any tips for my situation...I just need some advice for working with kids in a residential setting. Kids who have been neglected/abused to the point of social services separating their families.I've been here for 3 months, 2 days a week but I'm struggling with authority. The other staff are all great, I try to copy them but I'm not naturally cocky enough like them. The kids are well looked after, but due to their behavioural difficulties, they require intense discipline to keep things in line. The kids respond well to bossy language, which I'm trying to learn (it's so unnatural and awkward at this stage!) most of them also respond well to the male adults, I'm a 24yo female, shorter than some of the kids.They seem to smell my weakness, they will say/do things around me that they wouldn't do around other adults. I usually respond with a calm "we don't use that language in this house do we"But I don't really feel like I'm getting anywhere with controlling inappropriate behaviour. I hope it's a case of me just being a newbie who needs to do my time to earn a badge of 'adult'. There are some victories, the kids like to show me things they are proud of like drawings or healthy pets.Do you have any advice or input?Seriously anything! :)ThanksEdit - I guess I'm posting in this sub because most of my duties are of a parental nature, the kids live in the home 24/7 with a rotation of adult staff coming in to look after the kids, take them to school/activities n all that jazz via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rFetbI

No comments:

Post a Comment