Saturday 27 January 2018

Musical.ly


Thought I’d share this just in case anyone else is in the same boat...My 8 and 10 year old won’t stop begging me for this app for their iPod Touches. (No they do not have smartphones).Apparently several of their friends and peers have this app and won’t stop talking about it at school, etc.Even close friends of mine have permitted their children to have it (ages 7-11).Because I correctly entered their birthdates into the iPods at set up, the iPods won’t let them create accounts for the app. The recommended age for the app is 13.So I spent 3 days doing my due diligence.Just to change the birthdate on the iPod requires a phone call to Apple support. You can’t do it on the device and you can’t do it by logging into iCloud from a computer.I called out of curiosity and they refused to change the birthdate. I insisted to see if they would waiver and the rep buckled and said he cannot chamge it to anything over the age of 12 because once it is determined that the iCloud account is for a child it remains that way. He then said there are work arounds. I could create a new account from scratch or change the birthday to 12 years with tomorrow being the 13th birthday. I thanked him and said I would call back if needed. Regardless, it is good to see Apple is trying to watch my back (and theirs).I digress.I determined there is no way in hell they will get this app. I downloaded it to my phone and played around with it. Sure I can lock down the account with privacy settings, make the public profile info ambiguous, and allow only firends to see the videos my kids post, but...The app auto plays videos of random people and constantly pushes users to view content from random people. And I don’t need my kids exposed to random content from random folks singing inappropriate music and/or modeleing inappropriate dances. And who knows what else the worst of humanity is using the app for.Perhaps when they are 13 but not 8 and 10.Of course I am the worst parent in the world and my kids are terribly upset. Lol via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2FmTbS2

No comments:

Post a Comment