Saturday 27 January 2018

Preparing my daughter for being different


Hello everyone.I've never posted here before, but my wife loves this subreddit, so I figure I'll give it a try. My daughter, who is just about 1 year old, has a condition that I refer to as "fuzz arm". We had it diagnosed, but I forget the medical name of it. Essentially, on the upper part of her arm, up the shoulder and just a little on her back, she has some fairly thick black hair, along with some puffiness on those areas. Apparently it's mostly a cosmetic issue, and any cure of it involves skin grafts, so it appears this is something she will live with for all of her life.Honestly, I don't mind. However, my concern is her self esteem. When she is older and interacting with children, I don't want her to feel ugly or bad about herself because of this. I know kids will tease her, because kids are capable of being really mean, but I want her to be strong enough and confident enough to weather it.Long story short, I'm looking for advice on how to prepare her and build her up for the inevitable teasing. Has anyone gone through anything similar and have any advice for how to help her?Edit: My wife reminded me it is called congenital nevus, specifically the medium sized one. The pediatric dermatologist we went to wasn't too concerned about it. He indicated her version of it has a slightly higher risk of melanoma and the like, but no major health impact.I'm am completely okay with her shaving it off once she is of an age where that is an option. My understanding is it will still be a bit more puffy than the rest of her arm and will grow back, so it would be a regular maintenance thing for her.I appreciate the comments about being able to redirect child cruelty, that kids may not be as mean as they were back in the day, and how to help sate their curiosity. Part of my concern is the different backgrounds my wife and I had in school. Neither of us were popular, but she dealt with a lot worse stuff and struggled with it more. I have no idea if that is because of her own background and unique set of circumstances, or if little girls tend to be meaner or if I was just too oblivious to notice such things when I was a kid, so I was spooked a bit by that thought. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2DJ9fl0

No comments:

Post a Comment