Monday 29 January 2018

My daughter has dyslexia, but her current school does not have any special education services.


My daughter is in second grade, and she was just tested this year for dyslexia. She and her siblings go to the private Catholic school that's part of our church. When we enrolled our kids at this school, we found it really important that our kids receive a religious education, and we thought that it was beneficial. Our daughter will receive her first communion this year which she is very excited about. She has made many great friends. And she loves her school. But I can't help but feel that we have failed her; she struggles a lot with her reading and writing, and it wasn't until we got her tested at the local public school that we discovered that she has dyslexia; I wish we could have figured this out earlier, but her school doesn't have any funding for special education. Which leads us to wonder if she should continue attending this school. We want to put her into the local public school, where she can receive additional services for her dyslexia, where there are teachers who are trained in learning disabilities. Of course, my daughter isn't too thrilled about the idea of starting at a new school next year. My wife and I would love to keep our children in Catholic school; I never went to Catholic school, but my wife did, and our religion is very important to us, but I feel like we already made a mistake in sending our kids to the Catholic school since our daughter's dyslexia was found relatively late, and I want her to have the best education possible, and I want her to love going to school, which she does currently. I don't know what other options we have; I'd appreciate any advice. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2GqsIEL

No comments:

Post a Comment