Saturday 27 January 2018

My 14 yr old son's favorite teacher was arrested for sexual battery of a minor


A few days ago, my son's high school sent out a robocall notifying parents that a teacher was arrested at school for sexual battery. This man was the favorite teacher of my son and many of his friends; he is charismatic, witty, and brilliant. His role has been something of an academic coach and de facto counselor for freshmen in an accelerated program. He was the kind of teacher we encouraged our son to discuss future plans/problems with. My son had class with him every day. When we met him at parents' night we were equally charmed by him. It turns out that 8 years ago, he committed sexually battery on a 16 year old boy on at least two occasions. Apparently he admitted it when confronted by police. Investigators believe there may be more victims. He has worked at 4 schools in the past 15 years, and was until the other day a boy scout group leader.Naturally we we all upset by this. My son was in shock at first, but after a few hours that turned to sadness and a deep sense of betrayal. He is struggling to reconcile all the good things he thinks about this man with the terrible things he is learning. Other details about his life have emerged that conflict with things he told his students, which has only deepend my son's feeling of betrayal. He has been reluctant to discuss his feelings at length with us, but I saw yesterday that he posted something very poignant and heartbreaking on social media. Many of his friends responded with insightful, sensitive words. They validated his sense of betrayal and shock, but one in particular also wrote about how the good things they experienced with this teacher were real, and not cancelled out by the terrible things they've learned. My son later posted that his friends' remarks made him feel better.For now, I'm inclined to check in with him frequently, follow the news, and otherwise let things be. I imagine the investigation will at some point involve talking to his current and former students, and might include my son. He was not alone with this teacher at any point, and as far as we know, nothing inappropriate ever happened.I thought I was ready for just about anything, but this is a new one. I hope my husband & I are handling it well, but I'd be grateful to hear from other parents who have gone through something similar. Sadly I imagine there are a lot. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2Eei0Am

No comments:

Post a Comment