Sunday 28 January 2018

Should I let my husband around our daughter?


TLDR; I recently left my physically/emotionally abusive husband. He has never been abusive towards our daughter. Conflicted if I should allow contact or notOkay. So, I recently left my husband. He was emotionally and physically abusive. There would be times where a small fight would escalate to violence, and other times he would literally wake up and get violent. It actually took me a while to even fully realize that it was indeed an abusive marriage. My breaking point was about a week before I left. I found out he was texting other females and confronted him about it. He freaked out and choked me while I was holding my three month old daughter. The very next day, he woke up and was mad for no reason. He told me to get the fuck out and leave, so I'm like fuck it. When I stood up, he threw me on the bed and started punching me repeatedly. My daughter happened to be lying on our bed at the time and she was staring me in my eyes the entire time. Shortly after that incident, he went to the store and I took that as my opportunity to leave with my daughter and never look back. Of course, since then he's been blowing me up daily about how he's changed and is on medication blah blah blah, my gut knows it's all bullshit. He blames it on his schizophrenia but if it was really some uncontrollable impulse, wouldnt he be violent towards everyone not just me? Anyways, it's been about a month now and I've been thinking a lot about his relationship with my daughter. On one hand, I don't want to allow contact because I don't want her around someone with abusive tendencies, at all. I figure even if he never hurt her, I can only imagine the damage that would be done if she witnessed that growing up. Plus I think, he swears he'll never hurt her but he swore he'd never hurt me at one point too. On the other hand, he has never hurt her and what if he never did? I always said I'd never be the kind of woman to keep a father away from his kids, but what do I do in this situation? He has never hurt her, but she was definitely at risk when he was lashing out at me with her so close by. My worry is the psychological damage that will be inflicted if she grows up without a father. My dad and I are very close so she will have a male figure in her life regardless, but it's just a very complicated situation. My mom wasn't involved in my life but my grandma was, and as much as I loved her it just wasn't the same. What would you do in this situation? I feel like neither way is ideal :( via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nnifBo

No comments:

Post a Comment