Thursday 25 January 2018

My son was born with brain damage, any advice for the future?


I don’t really know what to ask here. We found out a couple of hours ago that our 2 day old soon has brain damage. My wife is sleeping and I’m sitting just watching him sleep. Obviously he will be loved and supported, there is no doubt about that, but I have no idea what to do next. I thought I was prepared for a baby, my wife and I read a ton of books and have spent time wrapping and changing diapers on my sons stuffed animals, but this changes the whole thing.I am trying to think of his future, what can I start to do now to help him be the best he can be? Things that we can do right now to help are reading to him, breastmilk, sleep. But does anybody have any other ideas? For now or for the future until we know how bad the damage might be? Are there any good resources that people know of out there to help deal with this physically or emotionally or even financially?I’m really just at a loss for what to do next. I might have to quit my job to become a carer as my wife has a better more sustainable job.I have worked with disabled people years ago at my old job and I know that he can live a happy life. I just want to make sure that his body can heal as much as possible while he growing.ThanksEdit: living in the USSecond edit: Thanks to those commenting, I can't reply right now but it means the world to me for your words, thanks via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nddZF4

No comments:

Post a Comment