Sunday 28 January 2018

Son isn't taking his medical condition seriously and thinks we are being overprotective.


Throwaway for privacy reasonsMy son (13) has osteogenisus imperfecta ("brittle bone" disease) Type 1. This is considered to be the mildest form of OI and on the surface he looks normal. He has some discoloration of the eyes, is a bit shorter than average, and has mild hearing loss in one ear but those don't really jump out to people. His bones do break easily and often, however. He also has more dislocations and sprains than the average person. Growth spurts have resulted in breaks. Simple falls have resulted in breaks. Jumping from moderate heights have resulted in breaks. He also has to be careful with his spine since it is slightly curved and is more prone to fractures.Although hearing his diagnosis made us want to send him to school in bubble wrap, we have fought against those desires. We enrolled him in swimming to help him keep his strength. This started an interest in sports. He is really limited in what he can play and can't do anything involving contact or jumping. He instead channels his competitive energy into swimming and table tennis.Our issue is disagreements about certain risk. One of his friends invited him to a trampoline park a couple of months ago. I told my son he could go but made him promise to not do more than simply jumping. He promised and went back on that promise once at the park. He ended up with a broken ankle. He is out of the cast now and went to a friends house yesterday. The friend's mom called me to let me know that he was play wrestling with her sons in the basement. She knows about his condition and I told her to call if she sees him doing something he shouldn't be. My son was upset that she told me and upset at me for telling her to call. Another friend is having a birthday party at the trampoline park next month and I told my son that he can only go if I come to supervise. My son stormed off and said he would rather not even go.He thinks we are being overprotective but we are just trying to keep him safe. I can't let him risk fracturing his neck, spine, or skull. All of his breaks have been relatively minor and sometimes he didn't even notice them (broken hip went unnoticed for days, broken fingers have gone completely unnoticed and have healed crooked), so I think that is contributing to his belief that we are being overprotective for no good reason.Any advice on how to handle this? Our house becomes somewhat of a warzone when we don't allow him to do something that his friends or siblings can. I want to respect his feelings of unjust and unfairness but we need to be smart about his condition. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2DIGT67

No comments:

Post a Comment