Sunday 28 January 2018

SIL will be babysitting my 20 month old, worried about their dogs


Looking for some advice/reassurance...My SIL will be taking over as my daughter's (20 mos) full-time childcare in March. I've probably read on the topic of dog attacks to the point of causing myself major neurosis, but I'm very concerned about SIL's 2 dogs. I have every intention of teaching my kid about the safest ways to interact with dogs, but she's a little young to really appreciate the finer points just yet, so I'm worried at how vulnerable she'll be.SIL has 2 dogs, one older and a little chihuahua mix, maybe 8 pounds, tops. I'm not too worried about that one, but they also have a 30-40 lbs mutt that I suspect is a rottweiler or doberman mix, based on her markings. She's a little younger and kind of poorly behaved-- jumps up on people, doesn't get enough exercise, etc. We visited them when our daughter was 6 months and the dog kind of... nipped around her while she was in the jolly jumper, which concerns me. I don't think the dog was actually trying to bite her, and the body language was definitely more playful than aggressive, but I can't get it out of my head.SIL now has a 10 month old, so both dogs have likely become more acclimated to having little people around... but my questions are these:How concerned should I be, really? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?How do I tactfully approach this topic with my SIL? I have every confidence in her intentions, but I've met way too many dog-owners who swear their dogs are "good with kids", prior to observing concerning anxious body language in their dogs around the baby.What's the best protocol for safety? I don't want to insist that SIL shut away her family pets, but I'd really be more comfortable with no/minimal contact between my baby and the dogs.Thanks to everyone for your input! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2DHdn4M

No comments:

Post a Comment