Friday 1 November 2019

Thoughts on autism schools?


So my kids are 8 and 9. My son is nonverbal, low functioning autism along with other medical problems. My daughter has mixed receptive pragmatic language disorder and intellectual disability. She is currently scheduled to be evaluated for autism based on pediatrician recommendation. My kids current school was amazing for the last two years. This year we have had problems but we have been able to get everything fixed.But as of next year unless we move the rezoning will put my kids at another school. The school doesnt have good reviews for special needs kids. It is also located across the street from a college learning airport, and a aerospace test facility. It is extremely loud outside the school at “most” times. But have been told you can’t hear it in the classrooms. But you can clearly hear it inside the cafeteria. Sound is a major trigger for both my kids.All of this makes me feel like this new school will not be a good fit at all. We have a local autism school, that my son qualifies for a scholarship so it will be nothing out of pocket. My daughter qualifies for a smaller scholarship with intellectual disability diagnosis so a small portion out of pocket or would be nothing out of pocket if she is diagnosed with autism. (Which her pedi thinks she will) the school is supposed to be pretty good but have a motto of all behavior is learned so can be unlearned. Which that sort of worries me of how they do this. They also rely on and teach the kids how to self calm down which I love.I go to tour the school on Monday. Which should answer some questions.But would you move pay higher rent to keep your kids in a “good” school, try the new school and see if with time the kids can “learn to ignore the sound” (what the front office told me), go to the autism school, move to completely other area?Any advice would be great. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/336FH9r

No comments:

Post a Comment