Friday 29 November 2019

Is this punishment to far?


I need some advice, longSo my son and daughter recently lost the Nintendo switch that we got less that a year ago. They have broken a Xbox 360, lost three game boys, broke countless controllers and my son downloaded a virus that killed the computer after we told him not to download games online because of scams.I AM DONE. I feel like they need to learn to appreciate what they get. And I know it’s possible because I never broke systems and neither did my husband.My son is 12 my daughter is 9. I wanted to take all technology away for a year, which was a extreme reaction but I thought of this as a punishment.I’m going to make them pay for their own systems so that they understand the value behind the items. And if they break it...it’s theirs so (shrug)I’m making a chore list that has money values to jobs done. I won’t force them to do these jobs, but if they want the money they will have to work for it. I’m making a cut off of 10 dollars every two weeks from me and my husband and 10 dollars every two weeks from their grandma.I had to add the grandma cut off because she keeps buying replacements and my kids arnt learning anything. If she gets my son a system for Christmas I will literally return it to her. I’m being 100% upfront with her about this. I made the money cut off for her because she will sneak him cash, and I will not allow this enablement of not appreciating stuff to continue. I also want this process to take a reasonably long time to really get the message.Once they own their own items I will not take it away as punishment because it’s not something I worked for. But I am making them give me a one time payment to use the tv and internet that can be revoked due to bad behavior. Again I’m being 100% honest with them and hanging up a new rule code.I’m going to treat the chores like a job in the idea of my standards of what I expect and the attitude they accomplish it in. My son is high functioning autistic and I’m very worried when it’s time for him to support himself that he won’t be willing to put on the work smile. So I’m using this as a training ground.Anything that we already own and they want to use the money will go into their savings account. And anything they need to buy I will give them the options such as used/new whatnot and let them decide how to best use their income after explaining pros and cons.This is only with technology that would qualify as a luxury. When it’s time for phones and stuff I’m going to get them the cheapest and most dependable and if they want a iPhone or something they can save up for that.My son is freaking out. Telling me he hates me. I feel pretty confident in the direction I am going but would really appreciate insight from others.Thanks for reading this far. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2qX5IdA

No comments:

Post a Comment