Tuesday 26 November 2019

Daughter’s new friends are “mean girls” don’t know how to break them up?


Recently we moved and unfortunately my 15 year old daughter fell in with the “mean girl” clique.The worst part is it’s partially my fault. I was so eager for her to make friends I introduced her to the same age daughter of a woman I worked with.Turns out that girl, and that girl’s circle of friends, are bullies.Her teachers have raised concerns. Other parents have come to me about incidents. At first I thought it had to be two sided, but I overhear conversations between my daughter and these girls and it’s abhorrent stuff facilitated by a charismatic ringleader where my daughter and a couple others are clearly uncomfortable.I’ve talked to her about branching out in a “why don’t you meet some others in the neighborhood, why don’t you find some girls who play volley ball too?” Type thing so it’s not “why don’t you ditch these friends.”I figured it was a phase and knew telling her she wasn’t allowed to see them or that I didn’t like them wouldn’t help matters whatsoever.But eventually I found out the ringleader put forth a ridiculous challenge that they all had to start a rumor about a classmate to stay in the “group” and I told her it was time to find new friends.What basically became clear is if she leaves this friend group, she’ll become their victims and they’ll blackmail her with personal details she confided in them (nothing crazy, but things very sensitive for teenagers, like she hasn’t menstruated yet.)I am at a loss. I need to get her away from these girls. But I don’t want to ruin her social life or have her start sneaking around with them feeling as though she can’t trust me. Advice? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Do13Uo

No comments:

Post a Comment