Saturday 30 November 2019

Will he be living in my basement when he’s 30?


I need some advice about my 8 year old (9 in February). He does not like being away from my husband and I at all. He will not participate in any extra curricular activities at all. We have tried all sorts of activities, but have learned it is largely a waste of money and time because he won’t do any of them. We have had a few days where he flat out refuses to go to school. Last summer we got him to go to a three day summer camp and they almost called us to come get him because he was so upset the first night. His brother, sister, and other friends were even there, too.I guess my question is where to pick my battles to push him to be more independent, but not force him into situations he hates. For example, do we force him to go to summer camp this year even though he says he doesn’t want to?School is a little more complicated because right now he goes to the school I teach at. I am quitting at the end of this year, though to do an in home daycare, so he would have to switch to our neighborhood school because current school is 45 minutes away. The only reason he goes there is because I teach there. He does not want to go to a new school and I have seen him dig in his heels and just refuse to go. There is nothing anyone can do to force him. He literally runs out of the building. Since I will be at home next year, we have kicked around the idea of letting him do virtual school at home, but I worry about giving in to him to much and allowing him to just hide from his fears.I just feel like I have no clue how to handle this and balance his independence versus his fears. Any advice would be appreciated. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/35YAVft

No comments:

Post a Comment