Wednesday 28 November 2018

The limits I've set for my daughter aren't working. What else can I do? I want to encourage her love of art and writing, but I can't deal with all the wasted paper, plus the stealing and lying!


My 6 year old daughter loves to make art and specifically she enjoys writing and illustrating her own books. It's her one true passion. But its out of control and I'm losing my mind.I have set limits that she must use her own supply of paper that I ration out to her and her art and books are to be kept in her desk in her room. If it cannot fit, it needs to go in recycling. Her desk has three deep drawers that are filled to the limit. She also hides her books in her room to avoid throwing them out.I walked into her room this evening to say goodnight and saw that she had about 15-20 brand new, blank books all stapled together and laid out in a circle on her floor. The paper looked like my brand new copy paper. She is aware that she is not allowed to touch my paper.I asked where she got all this paper from and she lied and said she reused the paper from her old books. When I questioned further, she lied again and said the paper was from school. I pressed the issue and she finally admitted it was the paper for my printer. I was so mad I gathered all of her art supplies and books and just completely cleared out her desk and put everything in a big laundry basket and put it in my room.Now what do I do? I'm itching to just throw it all out, but that would not solve the issue at hand.My gut says to keep her supplies for a few days because she not only took paper that did not belong to her, but she also lied about it.But then what? These stupid effing books are driving me crazy!!! She goes through paper at home like its nothing. Plus everyday she brings home art from school. I don't even look at it anymore, it just goes straight in the recycling bin. I'm sick of it.I bought her a huge white board and markers hoping that she could draw and erase and save paper, but she doesn't like it because she can't save her work that way. She wants to hoard all of her art. If I throw away all those books, she will literally have those drawers filled again in a matter of weeks. She will do anything to get her hands on paper.I don't want to squash her passion but there has to be a better way, right? How can she go green and stop wasting all this paper, while still being able to do what she loves?Am I going to have to buy a fancy tablet and stylus? Then I'm worried about the extra screen time. It feels like I can't win. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2E0DJPf

No comments:

Post a Comment