Thursday 29 November 2018

Rough boys and developing empathy. Just had our first proof that we’re doing something right


Flair should be “good behaviour” ;)Our boy has just turned 3. He’s never been overtly affectionate. He’s already so much of a “boy’s boy”: rough housing with daddy, playing with sticks and trucks, never ever sitting still. We also had the biting, hitting and kicking thing, which we’re thankfully through. You name it, he fits the boy stereotype. But he’s adventurous and curious, which is great. And according to grandpa, he’s exactly like his dad. Awesome.I’ve only had sisters. And we were all calm, quite girly and loved nothing better than craft and books. So this has been an adjustment.He’s also my only kid so far, and so given my limited understanding of rougher kids generally, I have always been a bit nervous that he doesn’t like kisses and cuddles.How do you raise affection and empathy is a boy that loves to smash and crash?Well I’m so proud of him.We found out today that while at daycare, his little friend (whose got a few emotional issues, eg. living with his aunt because his parents aren’t on the scene) had a toileting accident - he had urinated all over his pants and burst into tears.The daycare teacher had found my son in the toilet giving his friend a huge cuddle, saying “it’s okay, it was just an accident. You’ll do better next time”. That’s my first evidence of (unasked for) empathy right there.I think he’ll be okay :) via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Ayh4FC

No comments:

Post a Comment