Thursday 29 November 2018

My son is 4. Had to punish him for misbehaving and now I feel like crap.


My son is 4 years old and has been misbehaving consistently for almost a week now. I told him earlier tonight that if he continued I would take him straight home to bed, and take all his teddies and toys out of his room.We usually talk to him and make sure he understands why he is being told off or shouted at, and he is usually a very insightful boy, tells us exactly what he did wrong, and how he would feel in our position. Tonight he has been a nightmare, refusing to listen. I tried reasoning, tried talking to him, tried shouting at him after that, then told him i would take his toys away. So he then behaved. For a short while. But he knew he was on one warning.This is where we're at now. I followed through on the threat and he hasn't stopped screaming. I feel like a shit parent and human being, sitting here and ignoring him crying and screaming but we have tried everything else. I have all his teddies downstairs and bagged up. He is in bed. His toys are out of his room.For context, he had mostly been misbehaving by refusing to do what we asked. Myself and his mum have been exasparated constantly trying to get him ready for school, his after school clubs, and everything else. He has been doing everything else. He's been pushing and pushing, and while i was trying to get his shoes on earlier tonight, he kicked me in the stomach, took his shoes off and ran away. That's when i made my threat.Now he's upstairs in bed, crying and screaming the house down. He wants his mummy. But she isn't in and he has me. And i currently feel like the guiltiest dad on earth. I never hit him, i barely ever raise my voice at him (only if i absolutely have to and only to get his attention if he won't listen). I haven't been the perfect parent but I am learning. I came into his life when he was 2, and i'm still learning the ropes in some ways, because I work a lot and don't spend as much time with him as I would like. Today was my day off and I spent it telling him off and punishing him. I hate it. I hate punishing him and being angry at him. But I feel like it needs to be done.I don't know why this is going on Reddit. I guess I just needed to vent, maybe some reassurance while the Missus is away. Am I doing the right thing here?He seems to have finally quietened down a bit at least. He asked for a hug to help him stop crying and I gave him one. At least that helped. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2FPVAd9

No comments:

Post a Comment