Thursday 29 November 2018

Low self-esteem in my 6-year-old, how to help?


My 6-year-old son has always been very sensitive. He's empathetic and caring, going out of his way to help others.He cries when he thinks he's disappointed others, even if he hasn't. It's upsetting to him to think he might have done something wrong or made a mistake. He gives up easily and can't handle failure or losing. Even with board games.We try to encourage him by praising his efforts (as opposed to successes). He gets loads of affirmation, affection, and support at home. Despite all this, he speaks poorly of himself saying he is terrible at everything, will never be good at anything, is a bad person, etc. I have no idea where he gets this idea as we all strive to encourage and support him. His school is supportive as well (he's in the IB program which encourages kids to develop a sense of self and their part in the community).It breaks my heart to hear this sweet, loving, wonderful boy speak about himself like this. I want to help him develop a good sense of self-worth and confidence. He's brilliant and people love him. He's got tons of positive qualities, that he just doesn't see.What can I do? How do I help? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2zwxUFo

No comments:

Post a Comment