Wednesday 28 November 2018

Mishandled security threat at school?


I’m just trying to gauge how mad I should be here after my daughter’s preschool mishandled a security threat.Basically, a former employee made a very vague threat on Facebook at 10pm last night. The school contacted the police department who decided it was not a credible threat. The school decided to go ahead and lock all the doors, station a school employee at each door and have the police at school for the morning. This is all great - appropriate response imo.BUT. The school chose not to notify parents at all until pickup at 2pm when they sent out an email. They said they didn’t have time to notify parents...about a threat that had occurred some 16 hours earlier. Several parents noticed the security and asked to speak to administration about what was going on - they got the run around and pretty vague answers. So, as happens, news spread but since no one had any details it was just a series of texts ‘what’s happening?’ With no answers (to all of our credit, no one was speculating) but obviously a lot of us were getting panicked and picked our kids up early. When I picked my daughter up her teacher told me that not even the teachers had been notified. She was very apologetic (and seemed a little shaken up as well)My issue is that we weren’t notified - even a brief ‘a threat was made, we’re unconcerned but investegating’ and the school has been completely unapologetic about it. They’re acting as if it’s fine that they didn’t notify parents. One friend was even told ‘our job is to protect the kids, not to notify parents’We absolutely love this school. The teachers a great, we love the families there and we love the administrators that run it. All of this security stuff comes from the .org that oversees the school/admin.We’re planning on writing a letter and expressing our frustration but I know several parents have pulled their kids out of the school. My stance was that IF they updated their protocols we’d stay and if not we’d think about it (they did have proper security, just not notification). My mom thinks I shouldn’t let my daughter go back until protocol is updated. My issue is that we love it and want to be in this school for another 5-6 years. I want to be firm but polite.Any thoughts here. Should I be hitting the roof or is raising this enough? Any other ideas on how to make the school understand that emailing parents is imperative? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2zwE9Zv

No comments:

Post a Comment