Thursday 29 November 2018

Ten Yr Old Daughter Texted That She's Bisexual


Backstory: divorced mom of four. Been divorced nearly three years now following a domestic violence situation. Father of kids still involved, but has had order of protection against him and it's expiring soon. Kids are all well and happy. Dad is in their life and we are going back to court soon as he wants them exactly half the time now.Now that that's out of the way.My daughter, C, is a wonderful girl. Smart, well-adjusted, a natural leader, and extremely helpful. We've had the typical "birds and bees" talk and she gets it, isn't particularly interested in it and everything seems pretty normal there.This morning she texted me (while she was on her bus on the way to school) "I have to tell you something" and then "I'm bisexual".I assumed some friend or other kid on the bus was messing around, so I asked "who is this" and then she sent a text that was definitely positively identified it as being her that sent the original text. So I messaged back, "Do you know what that means" and have yet to hear back. Most likely they've arrived at school and they're not allowed phones on during school hours.I will preface this with: I'm agnostic, a liberal, and consider myself open minded about sexuality. I'm not personally bi, but I don't have any issue with her being bi. What I'm most concerned about is, how do I talk to her about it? I'm not upset, just curious about what her feelings are.Another major issue is her father. He is very conservative, southern Baptist (he "found god" after the divorce) and definitely thinks being gay is wrong. As we are due back in court in three weeks, I'm super worried he will freak out on our poor daughter if she also tells him. If she doesn't tell him, should I? If she asks me not to say anything, should I keep the secret? She is well aware of her dad's tendencies towards anger and close mindedness.I most likely won't hear from her again until school is out, and I pick them up around 6 pm. So of course "a talk" is in order. But what do I say in order to be as supportive as possible while also still being a good parent?Any advice is appreciated. Unless you're gonna rant about homosexuality being a sin. In that case, please just don't. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2FLw3BW

No comments:

Post a Comment