Thursday 29 November 2018

Sudden behavioral change for a 1.5 year old


I'm wondering if this is a normal phase of behavioral development or if we are doing something wrong.Before two weeks ago, my son was a bright ball of happy (if a little clingy) energy that generally did what we wanted him to do with only a little bit of fussing or a few nos. Starting two weeks ago, he has been saying no more often (to meals, getting his diaper changed, going for a nap), but we could still get him to do what we asked.Then starting last Saturday, everything related to bed/bath time is a violent struggle, his clingy-ness seems to have doubled to the point where I can barely make dinner without him begging me to hold him, and diaper changes have become tornado wrestling matches without some serious distraction (basically a song and dance routine from me and my wife).Last night was the worst putting him to bed, as he absolutely refused to go into the tub like we were putting him in acid (as of two weeks ago, he loved taking a bath and would run upstairs when we said it was bath time). When I tried to give him a glass of milk to put him to bed or walk him around the room, he would throw himself against the door trying to get out. After 30 minutes he was exhausted enough that I could get him to sleep.Right now I'm hoping this is a phase, and he's apparently well behaved in daycare, and the Dr. just gave him a clean bill of health this Monday. My wife and I try to re-direct him as much as possible when he gets upset or angry (he's also lately taken to throwing things when he gets angry), but it's only working so well.As for potential causes for this change in behavior, he was sick last week with a stomach virus, but that only lasted a day, and he has had them in the past with no problem afterwards. His cousins (4 and 1.5) also visited us over Thanksgiving, but they had also visited 2 months ago and he was fine after that visit. He also gets some eczema during the winter, but it's fairly mild and we treat it with some eucerin.Any advice on things I should be looking to do differently? Or is this just something I should wait out for now? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2BFHJ57

No comments:

Post a Comment