Sunday 25 November 2018

I just retired from cooking: Night One


Four kids, 10-16.I used to love cooking, and I'm good at it (according to objective others, not just myself).Kids have become so picky that there are literally no meals left that I can make without someone complaining. Spaghetti? I make my sauce with Italian sausage and one kid has decided she hates fennel. One kid has Celiac, which rules out wheat (obviously not her fault) so that makes it harder. One kid hates cheese, which rules out a lot of things. One kid hates chicken. We were safe for a while with tacos until one kid decided she was never eating tacos again.So tonight, I was stand in the grocery store feeling stupid. Like there's an entire store full of food, and I'm able to buy anything in the store within reason, and yet somebody will complain about anything I make.And that's why, in the middle of that grocery store, I decided to retire from cooking for the family.I came home with assorted ingredients instead and told the kids we will still provide food but it will now be their responsibility to prepare it for themselves and feed themselves with it.I was expecting a lot of protest, but nobody said much. After about 30 minutes, they decided I really wasn't cooking dinner and they actually started feeding themselves. One kid made a turkey and cheese sandwich, one made peanut butter and jelly. The one with Celiac decided to make herself and her sister some noodle soup with rice noodles, chicken stock, and veggies.If it looks like we're going to encounter nutritional deficiencies, I guess we'll address that as it comes up, but so far I'm pleased with the results of Night One.Will post future updates if anyone's interested. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2DVby4b

No comments:

Post a Comment