Tuesday 27 November 2018

I’m a surgeon and I have 3 small children. I knew I wouldn’t be around them much when I chose this career path but I’ve only seen them once one the last week and I’m worried about what kind of relationship I can have with them


I’m 39 and in my final year of residency(I got a very late start I know). I have an 8 year old boy, a 6 year old girl, and a 14 month old girl.I knew going into this career that I’d be spending a lot of time away from home, but I guess I never truly appreciated the magnitude of time I’d be spending in the hospital.I’ve obviously missed a ton of my 6 and 8 year old’s lives, but I never sat and thought about each of the things I’ve missed and my relationship with them.Right now I’m at home with my bay girl and while I’m trying to enjoy the time I have with her, I know that the same thing will likely happen with her.I chose becoming a doctor because I grew up in poverty and I wanted to be sure that my family would never experience that. Now, though, I wonder if this was worth it. My kids won’t be poor like I was, but they will miss out on the presence of their father a lot. It’s not obvious to me that the financial security is worth it.I can pay for their college, but my guess is they’d probably rather me be around and make memories with them.Parents who have had family and career clash, what did you do to make the best of it? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2r9zKaC

No comments:

Post a Comment