Wednesday 28 November 2018

How do you deal with family members' "opinions" on your parenting?


I'm a new mom to a 4 month old. I admit, I am feeling a bit vulnerable because, well, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. But I'm learning, and I'm doing my best, and I'm trying. I'm human. It's all I can do.My mom has been getting under my skin lately and I'm not quite sure how to handle it - both within myself, and with her.She watches my daughter 2 nights a week while we wait to get her into daycare (at the beginning of the year, thank goodness). I've heard a lot of things like "Poor kid. You should really quit your job. Raising her is the most important thing you'll do. Do you want someone else raising your child? Is money that important to you?" "Oh, I hope you quit your job" etc. Even telling other family members that she "hopes I stay at home".I shouldn't have to justify it, but letting go of my job and losing my income just isn't going to work for us personally. I already feel bad about it. I already wonder if I'm doing the right thing.Then, I hear "assessments" like "Her bath water is way too hot, it's abuse" "Your bedtime routine isn't working" (yet she tried to put DD to bed and failed... lol). "She needs less tummy time" "She wants to be walked around more" "Put a hat on that kid" etc. To assessments about my freaking house, like "You need to vacuum" "The food in your fridge isn't healthy enough for a breastfeeding mom" etc.To make matters worse, my sister calls and says that my DAD is now complaining to her about how I raise my kid. I think my mom has a tendency to wind him up, but it makes me really question myself.So, how do you fellow parents let things roll off your back? Are there any go-to phrases you use in the company of judgmental family members? How do you develop your confidence as a parent? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Rj4G3n

No comments:

Post a Comment