Monday 30 October 2017

What do you think about mandatory outside time


If I were to out my kids into daycare/kindergarten, I would choose an "outdoor" one that is based in the woods where the kids basically are outside all the time (except it pours buckets).However, they're not and instead home with me. The oldest, 5yo, is really energetic. At least insides. He always roleplays dinosaurs and other big and loud beasts, and tends to stomp around and bother his sisters.We are lucky to have a yard - but he doesn't like it. At all. The second he goes outside, he starts being all mopey, sits on the front stairs and looks around. What motivates him most is climbing the fences in hopes of detecting neighbors to bother. (He isn't allowed to do this, of course.)We even have a jungle gym in the backyard, and while he likes climbing, he doesn't do it there.But I have made up a rule, namely "Whoever screams or runs inside, must do so outside because it's forbidden inside." (I'm just on the verge of chronic headache and he incites the sisters all the time.)Of course as soon as I remind him of that, he suddenly gets all quiet and soft and says "I don't wanna go outside." Still, I put him.Also I demand an hour of being outside if they wish to have any kind of screen time.This boils down to pretty much a daily mandatory time outside. I personally know that being outside has a clearing effect on my brain (and on theirs, too), but what if he really does not like it outside? (The "one hour before screentime", he not only spends at the stairs, but it's also not the powering oneself out that I'd like to see.)So many people would kill for having an own yard :( via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2yY3exz

No comments:

Post a Comment