Tuesday 31 October 2017

Private schools and fundraising campaigns


Our 2 year old attends a preschool that’s part of a private school that goes till 8th grade. We’re open to him continuing at this school for kindergarten and beyond. Either way he’ll continue to stay in a private school in the area till college. My family/culture values education above all else and the school district we live in is seriously struggling. Tuition is a little above 25k each year and my husband and I make about 117k combined. We can afford private school but not comfortably.The problem is that the school has a fundraising campaign about twice a year and I feel like there’s a lot of pressure to donate. We could probably give maybe $50 or a $100 but I’m not sure that would do much anyways. The school is saying that each classroom that has a 100% parent donation would get a $100 towards the classroom fund but shouldn’t that be where our tuition goes anyways? My husband thinks we shouldn’t give them any additional money since we pay so much in tuition but I’m worried that my son would be adversely affected if we don’t give something. There’s a few reviews of this school online saying that their child was left out or bullied for not donating. Admittedly at the preschool level we’ve felt nothing but welcome and have never felt like we were being treated differently for our socioeconomic status. I’m very aware that there’s families with vastly greater resources at our school that have already donated thousands in this years campaign. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2z1ihqs

No comments:

Post a Comment