Monday 30 October 2017

Development screenings at daycare for infants


My almost 7-month-old kid goes to daycare every weekday. About a month ago I got an evaluation from an occupational therapist that she has some problem areas that require occupational therapy. After having a small freak out we sent it to the pediatrician. Ped's feedback was to ignore it, she was meeting all her milestones, and it sounded like patient shopping. Please note that the OT evaluation was conducted by a third party business, and the parents were not informed ahead of time nor asked for consent.Today I got another report, this time a Brigance screening. I only knew about this one already because of another parent. I was handed a piece of paper with the score. No notes, no conversation, not even something to tell me what that score meant. The Brigance screening was done by the daycare's staff, but again without keeping the parents informed. The report puts my kid well behind her milestones, though I strongly disagree with many of the 'failed' tasks marked.I am furious at the daycare. For not getting permission to let a third party evaluate my child. For not letting us know ahead of time about evaluations of any sort. For handing me a piece of paper with zero explanation. For scaring the crap out of parents like this... For apparently no reason! It's unprofessional and unconscionable.How do I start a conversation with them without just being a raging parent? How do I make this a productive conversation? I know the other parent I spoke to is equally angry. Regardless of whether the reports are correct or not, this whole thing is NOT OKAY! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2lwiOeu

No comments:

Post a Comment