Sunday 29 October 2017

16 month old won't turn objects upside down to spill contents (dumping)


This is driving me so mental that I've become fascinated and fixated on it. I've spent the last four days showing my 16 month old (adjusted) Twin B how to turn an object upside down but he just won't do it. This came up at his Paediatrics appointment in the ages and stages questionnaire"After a crumb or Cheerio is dropped into a small, clear bottle, does your child turn the bottle upside down to dump it out? (You may show her how.)"I knew this was something Twin A did all the time but I couldn't recall his brother ever doing it. Turns out he just can't yet, we've tried every sort of activity, he won't turn anything upside down so that the contents spill, we've tried so many containers. He tries shaking it up and down and sticking his fingers in, closes he gets is turning it on its side so his finger just touch the object and he tries to scrape it out unsuccessfully. In a wider container he just takes the object out one by one.Twin B was an IUGR baby, he was born 6 weeks premature he has a diagnosis of Hypotonia. As far as we knew he only had a gross motor delay but recently found out he is below cut off for problem solving. I am not too concerned just more fascinated that he doesn't yet possess what seems like such a simple and fun skill to learn. I was thinking if he was a singleton my living room floor would be so tidy.Can anyone relate or provide insight into this missing milestone? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2z1BOX6

No comments:

Post a Comment