Saturday 28 October 2017

18 y/o daughter refuses to apply for SSI


My daughter is 18 and graduated high school. She has been volunteering at the library since April, selling donated books, toys and jewelry. She refuses to apply for SSI, but I don’t think she is capable of getting a job. She is disorganized. Her therapist also suggested she apply for SSI but she refuses. She tells us she won’t be approved but we tell her you never know when less you try and it’s OK if she doesn’t get approved, though I think she will get approved. She was in special ed and my friend whose son was also in special ed told me I can give SSI her IEP and special education records and she will be approved. Problem is she won’t sign record releases. Every time I talk about SSI she gets mad. When she was in school I called the counselor to talk to her about this, and not to tell her they will be talking about SSI. When she was called in to the counselors office and found out they were going to talk about SSI, she immediately stormed out. She refuses to listen to anyone. I told her in order to get a good paying job you have to do an internship first for 1-2 years and even people who do an internship for 1-2 years or more have trouble finding a minimum wage job. At least with SSI she will have money. She is flat out against this and will be upset anytime I talk to her about SSI. I am think perhaps hearing from someone her age also applying or on SSI will her. I was a teenager along time ago and I forgot what it’s like to be a teenager, so I don’t know how to talk to her in a way that will reach her. Any suggestions? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2yULrak

No comments:

Post a Comment