Tuesday 31 October 2017

Concerned about the bond between my mom and my son.


My son is almost 8. Grandparents take turns providing before and after school care for our son. My mom is a retired teacher and has given him a huge leg up on learning.So, my mom isn't a bad person. She's a very sweet and giving person... but she is also unknowingly manipulative.She's very religious whereas my husband and I aren't and we let her take him to church on Sunday's but I'm a little uncomfortable with how deeply she is getting him into it. She's overcompensating because we don't feel strongly about religion. She wasn't like this when I was a kid. I hope we can give him some critical thinking skills so he can think about all of this objectively as he matures.The issue is that she conveys the idea that she knows better in all things than we do. I honestly don't think she knows she does it, but it causes him to question our authority more than I'd like.He has a very close bond with her... which is great, but I'm the mommy and the last word on things.The only harm I see now is maybe a slight lack of respect that I can hear in his tone. We usually remind him about being disrespectful and it clears up for a little while.I don't know if I need advice or if I just need reassurance that, in the long run, none of this will matter. Her health is not the greatest and when she's gone he can look back on his time with her fondly and that is a good thing. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2iPCqcv

No comments:

Post a Comment