Tuesday 31 October 2017

Need to call CPS (?) Situation is...complicated? (VA/WV)


So this is going to be pretty long but I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction, and that this situation isn't completely out of my hands.My "cousin" (SO's cousin) is an addict and has been for 8 years. She has 4 children. 1 with her legal husband, 2 more who are with her current SO, and a newborn who is also from current SO.She had the baby 3 weeks early on August 25th. The baby was born addicted to opiates, and spent the first few weeks in the hospital. When they were released, my cousin voluntarily went to detox 4 hours away. While there, her SO left the children alone one night and got in a very serious car accident. Both arms broken, all ribs on 1 side broken, leg broken, now he's having seizures from the injuries. I don't know how they got someone to the house with the kids. She was vague with the details.SO obviously can't take care of the kids, so his parents come and take him and all the children to WV. Details with my cousin are blurry but it sounds like she went to detox, got an rx for subs, started staying at an Oxford house and was kicked out for having a sub prescription, and she ended up staying on the streets 4 hours away from her hometown. Her father intervenes and gets her to our town and that's when we hear from her because she ends up staying with someone who makes women prostitute themselves out of his house to stay. We go get her and let her stay over this weekend.This is when I find out that the newborn hasn't been to the doctor since she was discharged. The baby has medicare(or medicaid...I don't know the difference) (that expires tomorrow) but since she has been in WV hasn't been able to go, because she has to see a doctor in VA. Basically, my cousin could go to WV and apply for Medicare there- But her SO's parents "hate her" so they won't have her around. As much as I don't agree, my cousin has full custody of all her children AND SO isnt on any of the kids birth certificates because she's legally married so she couldn't put his name, so "dad" can't do much in helping get the baby get medical care.I am very concerned. The kids (who were already thin) are losing more weight. The newborn looks straight up sickly (photos) and I'm very worried that the premature drug addicted newborn hasn't been to a doctor at all.it gets more complicated because idk where her SO's parents live. I know what town in wv but that's it. I don't know their names either. Basically all I have are names of cousin, SO, and kids. I don't know how to go about reporting this or who to call.I would've had an address for the location of my cousin, since I got her into a CSP (crisis stabilization program) yesterday, but I was just informed that she checked herself out this morning :/Edit: I 100% plan on calling, but not sure if I have enough info to make a report or who the relevant authorities are. I am not worried about the parents feelings, I'm worried about the kids. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2z63Cd4

No comments:

Post a Comment